Job Posting: City of Boulder Transportation Civil Engineer I
CITY OF BOULDER Transportation Civil Engineer I
POSTING START DATE: 10/07/20 12:00 AM
POSTING END DATE: Continuous
SALARY: $61,916.00 - $94,371.00 Annually
JOB TYPE: Full-Time
LOCATION: New Britain Building, 1101 Arapahoe, Boulder
The City of Boulder is a great place to live, work, grow and play. With over 300 miles of dedicated bikeways and more than 150 miles of hiking trails, Boulder values active lifestyles and access to nature. Forty-five thousand acres of land provide open space for parks, a green belt around the city and a cap on urban growth. With world class restaurants and art and music venues, The City of Boulder values diverse culture. Respect is one of our five City Values (including Customer Service, Collaboration, Integrity and Innovation) and we are committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. We celebrate and support our differences across all spectrums, including but not limited to ethnicity, gender, age, disability and sexuality. Through our focus on Racial Equity, our employee benefits, and the many programs resources we offer our staff, we continually strive to weave respect for one another into the fabric of our organization. Add your voice and talents to the City of Boulder and help us grow in service excellence for an inspired future. This job posting is "continuous" or "open until filled." It will remain open for a minimum of 5 days from 10/7/2020 after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
OVERALL JOB OBJECTIVE:
Under general supervision, perform field studies and review crash statistics, manage the collection and evaluation of transportation-related data including traffic counts, play an active role in the city’s Vision Zero travel safety program, assist with the review of work zone traffic control requests, participate in the planning/design of multi-modal transportation systems, and perform related duties as required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Perform engineering studies and analysis in support of the city’s Transportation Master Plan safety goal including:
• Traffic control warrants (signals, stop signs, etc)
• Pedestrian Crossing Treatment Installation Guidelines implementation
• Safety studies/crash analysis for all modes. Develop, design and implement mitigation.
• Manage the city’s Highway Safety Improvement Program by studying crash trends and recommending improvements to mitigate these trends.
2. Manage the city’s transportation use and safety metrics programs. Coordinate with the city’s Transportation Technician for the collection of vehicle, transit, bike, and pedestrian (speed, volume, peak hour turning movement, O/D) field data.
3. Review/quality control, compile, analyze and report on the city’s annual transportation system metrics programs including pedestrian, bicycle, vehicle, and transit uses.
4. Review/quality control, compile, analyze and report on traffic data for the city’s Neighborhood Speed Management Program.
5. Review/quality control, compile, analyze and report on the city’s annual system safety/crashes metrics program including pedestrian, bicycle, and vehicle.
6. Manage the Transportation Division’s crash database and analytics program.
7. Manage, report on, and provide public access to the city’s transportation related data.
8. Provides engineering and technical support to other city functions and processes including:
• Review traffic control plans and assist with the authorization of road closures for work zone traffic control associated with maintenance activities, capital projects and private work permitted through Planning and Development Services. As needed, investigate work zone traffic control and special event traffic control in the field to ensure compliance with approved plans. Work with contractors and event organizers to ensure that needed changes are made.
• Transportation related issues associated with city buildings and facilities.
• Technical assistance to the city’s development review process.
• Performs related duties as required to meet the needs of the city.
• Takes proper safety precautions, anticipates unsafe circumstances, and acts accordingly to prevent accidents. Responsible for the safety of self, others, materials, and equipment. Uses all required safety equipment and follows all safety regulations, policies and procedures. Reports all accidents and damage to city property.
• Responsible for knowing and complying with all city and department policies; participating in professional trainings and development; and adhering to attendance and workplace attire policies. Generally, duties and responsibilities are listed from most to least critical or time consuming.
CITY VISION AND VALUES:
The City of Boulder is committed to service excellence for an inspired future and the following values:
• Customer service - We are dedicated to exceeding the expectations of our community and our co-workers by demonstrating consistent and professional service with a solutionoriented approach.
• Respect - We champion diversity and welcome individual perspectives, backgrounds and opinions. We are open-minded and treat all individuals with respect and dignity.
• Integrity - We are stewards of the public’s trust and are committed to service that is transparent and consistent with city regulations and policies. We are honorable, follow through on our commitments and accept responsibility.
• Collaboration - We are committed to organizational success and celebrate our shared dedication to public service. We believe community collaboration and the sum of our individual contributions leads to great results.
• Innovation - We promote a forward-thinking environment that supports creativity, calculated risks and continuous improvement. We embrace change and learn from others in order to deliver leading edge service.
(1) TITLE OF IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Transportation Operations Engineer
(2) TITLE(S) OF POSITION(S) OVER WHICH THIS POSITION HAS DIRECT SUPERVISION: N/A
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited engineering university and a minimum of two (2) years of knowledge and experience in the application of current engineering principles, practices, and procedures, with a demonstrated understanding of transportation engineering. Ability to develop working knowledge of the city’s data collection technology including Wavetronix, Jamar and Miovision traffic counters including data processing software. Ability to use PC programs (Excel, Word, etc.) to generate reports and memorandum. Effective written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to prepare clear and concise written correspondence. Strong interpersonal skills including demonstrated ability to deal with the consultants, contractors and the public on complex issues. Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills. Effective organizational and time management skills. Ability to meet deadlines with minimal supervision. Valid driver’s license. Have and maintain an acceptable motor vehicle record and criminal history.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS – In addition to the required minimum qualifications:
Master’s degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited engineering university. Certification as an Engineer-in-Training or Professional Engineer. Certification as a Traffic Control Technician or Traffic Control Supervisor. Knowledge and experience using ArcGIS.
See this job posting on our Jobs page for more information: https://mountainite.org/classifieds.php?record_number=20