Job Posting: City of Phoenix Traffic Engineer III (Critical Position)
THIS IS A CRITICAL POSITION. During the current health crisis, any job interviews will be held by video or audio conference.
Please be aware that you may be required to undergo screening for symptoms of COVID-19 which may include answering questions regarding symptoms or having your body temperature read as part of this job. You may also be required to wear a face covering or use other personal protective equipment (PPE) related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The fundamental reason this classification exists is to perform difficult and advanced traffic engineering work involving supervision of activities in a major section or program. Work involves the application of professional traffic engineering knowledge and skills to a variety of engineering functions. Considerable independence and latitude is allowed in determining methods and procedures to complete projects. Currently there is one vacancy in the Office of the City Engineer within the Transportation Development Coordination Division.
Transportation Development Coordination Division
Development Projects - This position involves the application of professional traffic engineering knowledge and skills to a variety of engineering functions including advisement on design and approval of horizontal roadway geometrics and traffic signal control plans, performing challenging assignments relative to planning, designing, analyzing data and information within traffic engineering reports, plans and studies. The position will require advising on traffic engineering problems and developing plans for improvements; managing Development Agreements, Master Street Plans, and long range transportation planning efforts for right-of-way improvements; designing and approving plans for safe control and flow of traffic; answering complaints from the public; conferring with department and division heads on mutual and related problems; representing the City of Phoenix on regional committees; obtaining internal approval for and managing projects of varying scope related to traffic engineering and special projects assigned to the department, investigating complaints; and speaking on traffic engineering subjects to interested groups.
- Good writing and oral presentation skills and the ability to address the media and the public.
- Thorough knowledge of transportation and traffic engineering principles.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure, multi-task, meet deadlines, and carry out tasks through to completion.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, courtesy, patience, and tact in public contact and in problem resolution.
- Good organizational skills, ability to handle detail and manage multiple priorities within specific timelines.
- Knowledge of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials guidelines (AASHTO), Federal Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) and the Arizona Supplements.
- Knowledge of ADA requirements relating to roadway and signalized intersection design and operation and experience in private development coordination and plan review.
This recruitment and any interview process as a result of this recruitment may be used by multiple hiring managers and multiple departments throughout the City to fill any related current or future vacancies; other recruitments and appropriate eligible lists may also be considered.
$68,390- $104,000 annually. Candidates may be hired above the minimum depending upon qualifications.
A comprehensive benefits package is offered which includes traditional pension with employer and employee contributions; choice of medical HMO, PPO, or HSA/HDHP plan; wellness incentive of up to $720 annually; dental; vision; life insurance; long-term disability; 401(a) and 457 plans; medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan; bus/light rail pass; tuition reimbursement program; paid time off includes 11.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, and 15 sick days and personal leave days. For more details, visit:
- Three years of experience in the field of traffic engineering, including one year at a professional traffic engineering level.
- A bachelor's degree in engineering, including courses in traffic engineering or transportation engineering.
- An equivalent combination of related experience and education may be considered.
- Must be registered as a Professional Engineer in the State of Arizona obtained by the end of the probationary period (one year).
- The City job description can be found here.
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS – The minimum qualifications listed above, plus:
- Experience in developing and managing operations and project budgets.
- Experience using Microsoft Office products, desktop publishing programs and other computer programs.
First review of applications will occur the week of February 15, 2021. Recruitment will close when we have received a sufficient number of qualified applications or on March 1, 2021, whichever is sooner.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at https://www.phoenix.gov/hr/current-jobs/ by completing the required information and attaching, as one document, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
See our jobs page for more information: www.mountainite.org/jobs