It has only been 30 days since the last update, and oh so much has changed. I hope everyone is staying healthy and complying with the social distancing directives for your regions. It saddens me to see the ITE gatherings delayed and canceled, but the seriousness of the issue is becoming more and more evident each day.
For us, here in Albuquerque, that means working from home. The kids are here too! All day, every day, it’s great!! The dogs love the constant attention also.
While crafting this update, I found my thoughts drifting toward the summer, dreaming of the warm Hawaiian sun, and getting together with my ITE friends. So I donned the 2020 Joint Western District and Mountain District LAC shirt, crossed my fingers, hoped for a speedy end to this pandemic, and shared the pic.
I don’t know about you, but I find working from home to be fraught with its own set of unique challenges. My kids have always said I talk on the phone for a living, and after this week I have to agree.
Before the restrictions, and in conjunction with the ITE/IMA Annual Conference in Phoenix, AZ, the Executive Board convened for a multiday workshop to develop and review District policies. The officers updated the District’s budget and met with Committee Chairs.
Evident in the Committee updates were examples of their hard work and dedication to the District. Throughout much of the session, ITE President, Randy McCourt, joined us, and his Institute-wide perspective expedited discussions and emphasized best practices of other districts. Notably, the Board was excited to fund two additional Student Data Collection Projects this year.
- The Student and Young Professionals Committee has been active in administering the data collection program and raising funds for Traffic Bowl teams to travel to Hawaii.
- The Annual Meeting Committee has been coordinating with the Western District for this year’s meeting and brainstorming the format for our inaugural 2022 Boise Meeting.
- The Awards Committee has just finished solicitations for the Student Paper Award, Student Chapter Award, Student Chapter Momentum Award, and ITE Rising Star Award. Still open for submission are the Outstanding Undergraduate Student Award, Outstanding Graduate Student Award, and Outstanding Educator Award.
- The Advertising Committee has built upon the Founding and District Sponsorships to add the Products & Services Directory and Job Postings opportunities to the org website.
- Finally, the Communications Committee continues to impress by keeping us informed though social media (see our Facebook and LinkedIn pages), adding content to the website, producing monthly newsletters, and serving as the information conduit to the membership.
Thanks to all the committee members and their chairs for their continued hard work.
- Paul Barricklow, PE, PTOE - Mountain District President
- May 14 - Intermountain Section Annual Meeting (60th Anniversary)
- May 28 - AZITE Luncheon - Ridesharing With Special Events
- June 5 - CO/WY Annual Golf Tournament
- June 17 - AZITE Luncheon - Alternative Interchange/Intersection Designs - DDIs
- June 28 - Western District/Mountain District Joint Annual Meeting in Hawaii
See additional details for these events HERE.
Hello Mountain District ITE!
The Idaho Section was established in 1991 and currently has 80 members across the state. We also have two student chapters from the University of Idaho and Boise State University.
Our Section is led by five elected officials and one appointed student-liaison/socials chair. This group plans our eight monthly meetings, four socials, yearly conference and student engagement. Our section officers include:
- President: Crystal Grasmick, Idaho Transportation Department
- Vice-President: Brett Kohring, HDR
- Secretary-Treasurer: Brett Seely, Dave Evans and Associates
- Past President: Josh Saak, Ada County Highway District
- Mountain District Representative: Jeff Jones, Six Mile Engineering
- Student-Liaison and Socials Chair: Meagan Larrea, Six Mile Engineering
Each year, our section hosts a variety of events to provide professional development, marketing opportunities and social activities to our membership. Our largest event is our Idaho Statewide Conference, held each September. This last year we expanded our program to a full day’s worth of speakers resulting in record attendance with over 80 attendees; including vendors, presenters and students. The conference also includes a golf scramble. The photo below shows our great turnout at the 2019 conference.
In addition to our conference, we also host eight luncheons with speakers who present on a variety of topics. The January presentation on a recent Amazon development in the region attracted nearly 100% of our membership! Our socials chair plans four socials each year: a Boise Hawks baseball game, Idaho Steelheads hockey game, a preconference mixer and our multi-organization holiday party. The holiday party, hosted in December, is a joint effort with our local WTS, ASCE, and ISPE Chapters. Our most recent one had over 100 attendees and a food drive that donated over 300 pounds of food to the Idaho Food Bank. Our most recent event was co-hosted with the local ASCE Young Member Forum where members enjoyed an Idaho Steelheads hockey game. Over 20 people attended and are pictured below.
The Idaho Section is excited to be joining the Mountain District and we are working to expand our member services. Our biggest future announcement is that the Idaho Section is hosting the FIRST Mountain District Annual Meeting in Boise in the summer of 2021. We hope to see you all there!
With the establishment of our new Mountain District, we have a new brand, a new face, a refreshed passion, and a new horizon! We also have a Student Endowment Fund that we are looking to bolster through donations. So make sure to purchase your Mountain swag from your local state ITE Section Presidents or HERE in the form of a Pin or a Sticker, or both! Then......take a picture with your swag in cool places throughout OUR district and submit them to [email protected]! The photos we have received thus far are displayed on our website's home page.....so show us your pictures!
ITE welcomes the following new members who recently joined our community of transportation professionals!
The 2020 Joint Western & Mountain District Annual Meeting will be held in Hawaii from June 28-July 1, 2020 at the Hilton Hawaii Village. We received over 200 abstracts and are looking forward to a stellar technical program which should be available in early March. Discounted early registration for members will only be available until the end of February so don’t delay and register today! Here are some highlights from our program:
Keynote Speaker: Gibran Haji-Chikh has more than 22 years of experience in the planning, design, and delivery of transit systems and has recently been working on how disruptive technologies and services (including automated vehicles, Smart City infrastructure, and Mobility as a Service [MaaS] strategies) may affect operations and capital programs.
Workshops: 3 workshops are planned for Sunday, June 28th, that focus of Networking for ITS, Signal Timing, and TSMO Workforce development.
Technical Tours: 2 technical tours are planned during the meeting allowing attendees to explore Honolulu’s bike infrastructure or get a look at the City and County of Honolulu’s new Joint Traffic Management Center.
Poster Session: Information about the Poster Session on Monday has been posted to the website. Check it out!
Student/YP Program: Events geared for students and young professionals are scheduled throughout the conference!
In addition, our Exhibit Hall is already more than half full with new exhibitors signing up every day. Early registration for booths has ended so go online today and register for a booth before they are all gone! However, you decide to participate in our meeting, we look forward to seeing you all in Hawaii in June! Finally, thank you to our sponsors who make it possible for us to keep our meetings affordable for our members.
- Transportation Operations Engineer - Vision Zero - City of Boulder Public Works
- Entrepreneurial Traffic Manager - Navjoy, Inc.
Our eNewsletter sponsor for April is MaxGreen!
Whether you post a job listing, an entry in the products and services directory, become a District Sponsor or a Founding District Sponsor, know that your financial support goes directly into funding the important initiatives of the Mountain District.
These initiatives include a strong scholarship and award component to support the growth of our student population and encourage the next generation to join our Community of Transportation Professionals. Initiatives are also in place to support the growth and development of our young professionals and providing additional outreach opportunities to both our public and private partners, highlighting the work they are doing to better serve the traveling public. The Mountain District will be working in close partnership with our Sections and Chapters to support their activities at the local level and highlight the accomplishments of our transportation community.
More information on the scholarships, awards and other programs are available on the Mountain ITE website on the https://mountainite.org/sponsors page for more information or contact the Advertising Chair.